Rivotril or Klonopin is Clonazepam, a Benzodiazepine that increases the level of GABA neurotransmitters to produce a calming effect in the brain. Although the chemical is naturally occurring in the body, an increased level of this for a long time can produce some side effects. Most side effects are short-term and will go away after stopping the medication. However, patients who use Rivotril for a long time can experience serious side effects. At this time, patients must consult a doctor. In this article, we’ll discuss most of the side effects of Rivotril. On the other hand, if you would like to know more about this drug and how it functions, you can read our article All About Klonopin here.
Common Rivotril Side Effects:
It’s important to understand that Rivotril causes a calmness in the brain and therefore people might think of a lot of these as Rivotril side effects, but what they really are are effects. Also, you have to trust your doctor. Your doctor has prescribed this after a diagnosis, and he/she knows that Klonopin is the right medication for you, so there shouldn’t be many side effects to begin with.
- Sleepiness: This can be produced within 30 minutes after taking Rivotril 2mg. The calming effect of Klonopin can induce sleep especially if a patient has been sleep-deprived for some time due to anxiety. It is very normal and there is nothing to worry about. Although that is one of the reasons why you should not drive or operate heavy machinery after taking Rivotril.
- Dizziness: Almost for the same reason this may happen. It goes away within half an hour or so. It is, therefore, a good idea to have a nice 1-hour rest after ingesting Rivotril. Then you can be sure that you can get back to normal work without any problems.
- Salivating: This is due to the increase in relaxing chemicals in the brain. The brain might prepare for sleep and at this stage, some extra saliva is produced to keep the mouth from drying out during sleep. Frequent sip of water will get rid of this uncomfortable feeling. It’ll let the brain know that you are still awake.
- Tiredness: Also very common and nothing to worry about. Allow yourself to relax. After all, that’s the reason to take Rivotril.
- Light Headedness: This can be referred to as lack of thoughts. You can feel very light in the head and even if you want to think of something, your brain is unwilling to participate. It is actually a good thing. What would be the point of relaxing if you have to think about many things? Give it time and your thinking ability will return.
All of the above are common side effects of Rivotril, or in other words, effects of Rivotril. Unless they become very uncomfortable, patients need not worry. However, if they do become uncomfortable, you should, of course, let your doctor know about it.
Serious Rovotril Side Effects:
Serious side effects are possible after using Rivotril for a long time. At this point, you should definitely ask your physician if you need to change course or reduce the dosage before anything bad happens. Serious Side effects include:
- Change of Mood: You may be feeling irritated all day long. It is not a good thing. You are under the influence of a calming agent and yet the irritability persists.
- Suicidal Thoughts: This also can happen to some. If you have suicidal thoughts, you should definitely let your doctor know and also seek the help of a family member or a friend to check up on you from time to time.
- Depression: You may have thoughts and feeling that there is no hope in life. This is closely related to suicidal thoughts. You are not interested in any activities- even the ones you loved to do. Depression can lead to many self-destructive behaviors including suicide. Therefore, now is the time to be extra careful. You may talk to your doctor about reducing the dosage or be treated with a different medication such as Xanax (Alprazolam).
- Loss of Coordination: After many days under the influence of a powerful antidepressant, this may happen. Your muscles can lose coordination as they lose communication with the brain. It is temporary and can go away after stopping Rivotril.
Above are not all the side-effects but only the most frequent ones. Patients can manifest various others during a long course of Klonopin. Aside from the doctor, family members’ help and support are a must. This way, the drug can be properly administered and would bring good results to the patient.
Here are a couple of things to consider before you take Rivotril.
- Let your doctor know your full medical history.
- You should always check if you are allergic to Rivotril, Klonopin or Clonazepam.
- Let your doctor also know if you have any history of substance abuse. Clonazepam can be addictive.
- Pregnant women should not use it.
- Clonazepam passes through breast milk so mothers with very young babies should not take Klonopin.